The carpet beetles look like ladybugs and are tiny insects. You need to call pest control when you see them in your home and notice damage to curtains, carpets, sofas, and food items.
Carpet beetles are the type of beetle that become more active in spring. They consume woolens and hides and stored foods such as meat, taxidermy specimens, or other animal products.
How Do Carpet Beetles Infest Your House?
The carpet beetles nest outside and eat nectar and pollen daily. They can fly through small windows or small holes as they are small and get into your home. In addition, they can gain access to your property through openings around plumbing connections, electrical conduits and soffit vents. As a result, they get attracted to light and infest many homes.
If not treated, carpet beetles can cause massive damage to your home. Carpet beetles are most destructive when they dig into household and furniture made of wool, silk or linen. They feed on carpets, upholstered furniture and blankets, quilts. Though carpet beetles are not poisonous, they are harmful as they destroy food and other materials and cause havoc. Carpet beetles infect food stored open by contaminating it with their saliva and faces. This bacteria causes allergic reactions, respiratory irritations, and carpet beetle-dermatitis in the human body.
Tips for Carpet Beetle Removal
• Firstly, heat any furniture that you bring in from a sale or apparel that you have.
• Regularly vacuum furs, woolen clothes, furniture. You can also remove lint, pet hair, dirt, and any other organic debris that could attract carpet beetles.
• Store winter clothes in airtight bags or cedar closets, and Cedar oil repels carpet beetles.
• Regularly clean your furniture and other difficult-to-reach areas.
• Your chimney should be cleaned at least once per year to prevent carpet beetles from infesting.
• Eliminate carpet beetle infestation by washing your clothes or laundering them regularly. Dry cleaning is more effective because it kills all life stages of the carpet beetle.
• You will need to keep an eye on your commercial warehouse for carpet beetles. You can place your traps around your building to see where they are, and you should check them at least once a week.
Carpet beetles can be difficult to eradicate by yourself because they are small and hard to spot.
ASM Pest Control can help you protect your home from carpet beetle infestations that could cause property damage of thousands of dollars.